Friday, November 11, 2005

Why Java (presumably) won't go anywhere soon

Why Java (presumably) won't go anywhere soon: "Michael Yuan is telling the world that Ruby on Rails won't replace Java for web-applications. And he's right. No, really. It's not. And here's the prime reason why..

This is interesting because right now I'm writing an architecture definition for a new system--and being careful to be implementation technology agnostic in that description. Why? Because I want management to buy off on the system, not the implementation choices--so I can be free to implement it using whatever technology I'd like. At the same time, I'm getting the team that will be doing the implementation excited about using Ruby on Rails.

The architecture documentation is overkill, I know, but has value both as an architecture definition, as well as a political tool ("look at how well thought out this project is.."). The reason to use rails is because when push comes to shove management won't really care how elegant the design is--they just want it delivered. When our back is against the wall I do not want individual developers off doing their own thing in PHP and a smattering of .NET. This is an attempt to let everybody win. I'll let you know how it goes..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home