Saturday, November 05, 2005

How to install Ruby on Rails on Windows

I've been burned twice by the odd permutations of instructions out there on how to install Ruby on Rails on Windows XP. The first time around I had some problems, and it took me quite a while to figure out the secret handshake. The second time around I had already forgot what I did the first time, and thus had to reinvent the entire ordeal.

As of this date/time, the secret of installing Ruby on Rails on Windows seems to be:

1. Install ruby182-15.exe
2. Open a command line and type "gem install rubygems-update"
3. Type "update_rubygems"
4. Type "gem install rails --include-dependencies"

The trick is to get the proper updated rubygems package--else you won't be able to get rails installed. Might be an easier way to do this stuff, but I couldn't figure it out..

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

Just wanted to say this appears to have worked perfectly. Thought I would drop you a quick note of thanks. Found the post via google.

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information on getting Rails installed. It wasn't working and I was starting to wonder if it was going to be worth the effort. Thank goodness for Google!

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home