Saturday, June 02, 2007

Google AI

Not so much the topic of Google AI that's interesting to me, but rather I got a good chuckle out of the quote:
There has been some talk about whether Google has a top-secret project aimed at building a thinking machine. Well, I’ll tell you what happened. Larry Page came to me and said “Peter, I’ve been hearing a lot about this Strong AI stuff. Shouldn’t we be doing something in that direction?” So I said, okay. I went back to my desk and logged into our project management software. I had to write some scripts to modify it because it didn’t go far enough into the future. But I modified it so that I could put, “Human-level intelligence” on the row of the planning spreadsheet corresponding to the year 2030. And, that wasn’t up there an hour before someone else added another item to the spreadsheet, time-stamped 90 days after that: “Human-level intelligence: Macintosh port”
I also infer that Google uses a simple yet useful home grown tool for project management. I can imagine that "somebody" being subscribed to an RSS feed for new projects. This reminds me of the simple yet increasingly useful tool that Emil's thrown together for project management here at Pelco.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home