Sunday, January 29, 2006

Edubuntu installation notes

Success!

I only had a few hiccups. Linux is still not quite your grandmother's operating system, but it could have been worse.



I had to give up on using the Live CD because I couldn't get X to work. Granted, I didn't try very hard, but it hurt my brain when I tried to figure out how I could reconfigure the xserver when I didn't have a place to write configuration files available. I went ahead with the full install.

First shot at the installation failed with a few errors that seemed to indicate that the installer couldn't read or write files properly. I figured I'd try another CD so I burned a second one and it installed without any problems.

Of course, after the install, the X server didn't start. I found the following tip on the web:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

I reconfigured the server by plowing through and accepting all the defaults. X came up just fine, thank you.

Of course my mouse wouldn't work right away. This was a new USB mouse with the USB to round pin converter thingy on it. I plugged in a 1990's era mouse and all was well.

I got logged in and everything looks good. Dang this thing is slow. A look at the system monitor shows that the software is gentle on my delicate little 128MB of RAM tho.

By the time I got firefox started the first problem I noticed was that I couldn't resolve domain names. When the installer started installing the system it asked me to configure the IP address, gateway, and DNS server. Why it couldn't use DHCP at that point, I don't know. I dropped into the command line and saw nothing but the loopback interface.

Rather than plowing through a refesher course in the ifconfig man page, I search for ubuntu and "domain name server" and found a pretty handy link here
I edited /etc/network/interfaces and set it up to use dhcp again. Then when I tried to take down the eth0 and bring it back up again, that's when I noticed that eth0 wasn't up in the first place. I'm not sure how folks are supposed to get started without networking.. Maybe it was just me. "ifup eth0" and I am in business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home