Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Best Practices & Patterns with Rails

As I alluded to in an earlier post in which I argued for using Ruby on Rails over J2EE, Rails provides some pretty convenient tools for implementing some best practices and patterns. Some concurrence here in this interview about the migration of cdbaby.com to Rails.

Before I was about to start the rewrite anyway, I decided I really wanted to do things according to the best practices in real object-oriented systems. Encapsulation was my goal. The CD Baby PHP code is 7 years of tangled mess. There are many things the system is unable to do without a total rewrite, because of its total lack of encapsulation.

I was already studying Martin Fowler's books like a schoolboy, ingesting the lessons while preparing for the rewrite. Then when Tobi really showed me Rails I got it : by sticking with Rails' conventions, I would be already working by these best-practices I was aspiring towards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home