Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Buck Stops Here

The other day I went into Starbucks. You know, to get a cup of coffee. The girl takes my order, then turns around, looks surprised and says, "I'm sorry, we're all out of coffee. Do you want to wait a few minutes while we brew some more?" I went to McDonalds.

I've got another problem with Starbucks. Why does it make normal men start to drink, shall we say, girlie drinks? Again I was standing in line to get some coffee, and the guys in front of me are ordering non-fat, soy lattes with blah blah blah.

The more you see Starbuck's popping up in little two-horse towns like Fowler, CA, the more obvious it is that the "culture" and "atmosphere" comes in a shipping crate. And it has nothing to do with community, service, or even good coffee.

I'd become addicted to the particular make and model of Starbucks coffee for a time. But I'm slowly breaking my habit by frequenting other places (like my kitchen) more and more to get my caffeine fix each AM.

Anyway, here's the view from Starbuck's chairman Howard Schultz via Slate. I guess he agrees with me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The people who order girlie drinks at Starbucks are either: 1) truly girly, or 2) recognize that the espresso (like the coffee) at Starbucks often has a distinctively burnt and undesirably sour flavor. Those in category 2 make get their miniscule caffeine buzz by augmenting (masking, blunting) that flavor with other goodies.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I require a triple iced grande no-whip percent raspberry mocha.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home